About Me-La Libre Language Learning
Salut! ¿Qué lo que? I’m Devon, also known as Profa or La Libre.
I teach Spanish and French at a Title 1 high school in SC.
I seek to end racism and xenophobia by empowering the next generation to break down the walls between our cultures through language.
But having a big dream means putting in alot of work-seriously alot. The night-shift custodians telling you to “go-home-to-your-family” alot of work.
I worked my butt off because this work matters to me-but eventually I burned out. I had that hard conversation with my husband several times, asking if we could make it another year on my deplorable salary and the ever-increasing workload that never got easier.
My job as an educator wasn’t fun anymore, and it was getting harder every year to justify the toll it took on my family to keep my lessons high-quality. I was drowning in paperwork and verb charts and losing my spark. I felt stuck, like the constraints of my job were dumping water on my language-learning fire.
Can you relate to losing your teaching spark?
Do you ever question whether your kids can really use the language they’re learning?
I believe teachers are the answer to improving public schools, and my passion is to make our work as educators more fun and meaningful.
I provide the tools, resources, and ideas to overworked world language educators that are OVER outdated methods and ineffective language instruction–without sacrificing their planning time and personal lives.
They HATE their dusty old worksheets and are dying to teach language the way that they fell in love with it-but they’re afraid it’s going to cost them a mountain of extra work on top of what they already do. They’re seeking a research-based method that works, and they don’t want yet another educational fad or to be left high-and-dry with no guidance for implementation.
Does this sound like you?
Do you want to teach for proficiency and still have a life, but don’t know where to start?
I ditched my underperforming teaching methods and got my groove back through proficiency and comprehensible input-and I want to help you do the same.
But I jumped in over my head into the CI world. It was struggle-bus, party of one. I want to make your transition easier than mine was.
What I Do to Support Educators at La Libre Language Learning
I create resources that empower students and promote diversity with meaningful language acquisition experiences that don’t feel like work, through:
- the thrill of successful communication
- fostering global connections and citizenship through language
What You’ll Find on this Blog:
- I share my proficiency adventures and support teachers like you work through the research that supports this teaching style.
- I share the stories from my classroom and go through what worked and what didn’t so that you can learn from all of my triumphs and mistakes.
- I comb through the research on language acquisition and transform their findings into actionable tips that you can use tomorrow with your kids.
- I share how I go home on time every day (yep, you read that right) so that you don’t have to neglect your family or your hobbies in order to LOVE what you do and believe in what you teach.
To pay for my not-sorry-at-all travel addiction, I also sell student-tested comprehensible French and Spanish resources on Teachers Pay Teachers for the days you’re short on time.
If you believe like I do that language is the key to tearing down walls between societies and an empowering tool to the next generation of leaders-join me here at La Libre Language Learning.
I’ll see you in the trenches 🙂
Devon @ La Libre Language Learning
Curious to Know More About Me?
When I’m not waist-deep in educatin’ or on this blog, I can be found:
- At a local cafe, my happy place, with a strong cup of coffee and a French book.
- Binge-watching Bob’s Burgers and Celia (and singing along)
- Hanging with my outdoorsy husband and trying to one-up each other’s college rugby stories
- Teaching my 3-year-old son Spanish
- Up to my eyeballs in SLA research for my masters in Spanish and Language Education
- Listening to David Bowie or Alicia Keys or podcasts
- Arranging flowers (sometimes while listening to reggaeton)
- Adding restaurants in Charleston to our weekly brunch list
- Lifting weights or kickboxing (definitely while listening to reggaeton)
- Shaking out the couch cushions to fund our family’s next travel adventure
Curious About My Teaching Style?
Check out my post here: #TeacherLife